Too expensive. Too hard. Too much time. All the excuses I hear (and use myself) for why healthy eating is not on the table. But I've learned, especially this past month with Whole 30, that the best weapon we can yield against those excuses is an arsenal of quick, easy, simple recipes. So I crafted myself another to add to the list.
It actually started on a cold, rainy January Saturday when Casmir asked me if we could go get his favorite tomato soup from Trader Joe's. I thought he was joking, until I realized he wasn't. Obviously we couldn't. Because milk and cream and cane sugar and rice flour aren't exactly #whole30approved. But I knew they weren't needed for a yummy tomato soup. So I walked downstairs to our makeshift pantry (one-bedroom-apartment-problems) and worked some magic.
And it came out perfect. I don't want to oversell it, butttt I sent it to work with Casmir and he came home saying “Babe, that was one of the best recipes you've ever made.” And you already know his approval is hard to come by. It's got that creamy, sweet tomatoey goodness, with a little extra unexpected kick. And great protein so it can be a real meal.
Check out the recipe details in this video ↓
- In a large pot, combine tomatoes, broth, basil, garlic, salt + pepper. Add in chicken.
- Cover pot with lid and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Pour coconut milk in the pot. Mix in milk and turn off heat.
- Turn on immersion blender and blend up the soup until smooth.
- Shred chicken. Add back to soup and stir.
- Serve hot. Or store in glass containers (mason jars) for meal prep. Let cool before storing back in fridge or freezer.
Just like my Golden Crockpot Soup, I love to make this and store it in my pint-sized mason jars with reusable lids I got off Amazon. Stack them in the fridge, store a few in the freezer, and pull them out in the morning to send with him for lunch. Easy peasy. Creamy dreamy.
As always, I hope y'all love it and I hope it blesses your quest to honor and nourish your bodies. If it does, share the love on Instagram and tag @mollie.mason so I can share it with the rest of us. xx, molls